Special Properties of Right Triangles
Today is the last 2-section day!
1. Read 7-2: We can now use the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem! Feel your powers increase tenfold!
2. Sally can't sleep, so she wanders aimlessly through the dark town. One area seems to have been burnt by fire, and a wall, surrounded by charred wood and threatening to collapse, has been propped up by a beam. The beam is 9 feet long, and touches the wall 5 feet up and the ground 7 feet out. Is the wall standing upright?
3. In 7-2, work problems 6-12 even, 20, 28, 40, 52, 60, and 62.
4. Read 7-3: Two special right triangles with specific leg-leg-hypotenuse ratios.
Sally wanders around the collapsed house, and finds the stairs down to the cellar. A support has collapsed diagonally across the 3 foot wide cellar entrance. She finds cheeses and salted meat inside, eats, and falls asleep. If the collapsed entrance is a 30-60-90 triangle, how tall is it?
5. In 7-3, work problems 8-12 even, 18-22 even (draw 20 & 22!), 32, 40, 52, 54.
Extra Credit: In 7-2 # 36, 37, 42. In 7-3, # 24-28 even.